I ran into a wee problem with one of my WeMo LED smart light bulbs. It was easily cleared up with a reset, but it took me some surfing to find out how to do it.
That got me thinking, you might someday need to know how to do this yourself, and possibly for other bulbs. So here’s a few smart light bulbs and how to reset them, with instructions from each manufacturer’s website.
How to reset smart light bulbs
Reset WeMo by Belkin
A simple on/off combination is all you need for these bulbs. Switch your WeMo bulb off, wait a second (1) and then turn it back on and count 3 or 4 more seconds and flip it off. Repeat two times more. After that the bulb should flash at you a couple times. That’s your confirmation it’s been reset. One note: if you take more than about 4 minutes to pair it back with your WeMo hub, you may need to start over.
Reset LIFX lights
There’s a small switch on the side of your LIFX bulb. This is the hardware reset switch.
If you are having difficulties with a bulb, flicking the hardware reset switch will return the bulb back to its virgin state as if it were brand new.
How to hardware reset An A21 LIFX bulb:
- Turn power off to the bulb(s)
- Flick the reset switch into the opposite position (e.g if the switch is at the top position move it to the bottom, if the switch is at the bottom position, move it to the top.) NOTE: once the switch is moved to the opposing position the bulb is reset, it does not need to be returned to its original position)
- Turn the bulb back on
- It should now flash Red, Green, Blue, & settle on White
- Please run through the setup procedure for the bulb.
Osram Lightify Bulb reset
Reset Osram Lightify via the WEMO App
Launch the WEMO App.Step 2:
Tap Edit.Step 3:
Tap OSRAM LIGHTIFY™ Tunable White 60 Bulb.
Tap Reset Options. Then, select either:
- Reset Name, Rules & Data – This will ONLY reset the personalized device Name, Rules and Data of your light strip. This does NOT erase the connection to the WEMO Link.
- Erase All Content and Settings – This will reset the light strip back to its factory default settings. All saved data will be lost and cannot be retrieved.
Once you are asked to confirm the reset, tap Yes.
Reset Philips Hue Bulbs
You can’t reset the bulbs manually. Instead, do a reset of your bridge. (yes, sadly this will delete all lights and force you to setup again from the beginning. Turn the Bridge over and hold down the “Restore Factory Settings” button down for a few seconds. You should be good to go.
If all else fails, get in touch with the maker’s customer service department. In most cases, they’re happy to help!
Do you have a question about how to reset another bulb or device that’s not on this list? Post a comment below and we’ll add it.